Extra-Life 2014

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Extra Life 2013 - Zadrya

Welcome everyone and thank you for taking the time to follow me in this year's event.  Today is the official make-up day for the Extra Life 2013 drive hosted by the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals (especially the Boston Children's Hospital in my case).  I've rallied to raise money for the last month and now just have to sit back, relax, and play 24 hours of games.  :P

I did miss this year's original date (Nov. 2) because I was on a small animal emergency rotation in school.  (For those of you who don't know me for whatever reason, I'm a fourth year veterinary student from Ross University finishing out my last year of school at the University of Illinois.)

Anyway, that's enough rambling for right now.  If you would like to see our team page, there is a link over there on the right, or you can can just check it out here:  The Doctor's Army homepage.  If you would like to donate, you can do so on my personal page here:  Zadrya's homepage.

And without further adieu... here goes the day's event!

l(https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=
tbn:ANd9GcSf5I4Cxc6vfl5RJ
w76xOJB8P0Vm6wSLojojrLKNPhifX27poRM)
10:52am - So I've been playing some more of The Wolf Among Us, a game that my sister had gotten me for my birthday.  It's put out by Telltale Games and is more of a narrative story, sort of along the lines of The Walking Dead.  You play as Sheriff Bigby Wolf, (yes, the "Big Bad Wolf" of Little Red Riding Hood fame) and you are solving the mystery surrounding the death of one of your town's residents.  It's a really nice, dark twist on the story tales that would even rival the Grimm Brothers' versions.  Plus, how can you not like a game that makes a reference to Grendel (of Beowulf fame)?  It's got that gritty, comic book feel to it, sort of akin to Sin City.  I've already played through it once, making an important decision to drive the game forward... so now I'm on my second play-through to have a different save file for when the second episode comes out.

(http://uthmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/
The-Walking-Dead-7.jpg)
1:51pm - 3 1/2 hours into the marathon and I've had little spurts of being tired (but I blame that on a weekend and having been worked to the bone over the last month on my clinic rotations).  Anyway, I've caught up with all four of the main plot lines for The Wolf Among Us... but I'm still on a Telltale Games kick, so it's back to The Walking Dead.  For some reason, all the trophies didn't link over to my profile, so I need to catch up on those.  :P  It's a storyline-based zombie game based on the graphic novels (although there is a lot of plot overlap with the popular TV series as well.  We'll see how many episodes I can get through before I switch off to something else, but I'm gonna try to see how differently I can make my choices this time.

(http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/xcom
%20main%202.jpg?1350863703)
6:27pm - Well, I was mistaken... I never downloaded anything beyond episode 1 of The Walking Dead, so I let myself get sucked into this game called XCom: Enemy Unknown, which is a tactical alien-killing game.  Not my usual style, but it passed the time pretty quickly to this point.  I'm not exactly very good at it, but I'm doing significantly better this time around than I have in the past with it.

11:08pm - For a game I'm not a super crazy fan of, I'm surprised I'm still playing this one... but I've been doing much better tactically than the last time I tried to play.

3:25am - So tired at this point... but 6 hours to go at this point.  Switching gears back over to The Walking Dead... now that it's all downloaded finally.

6:53am - Just about done with Episode 3 of The Walking Dead.  I want the platinum trophy for this game, dammit.  :P  Well, that and sleep... just another 2 1/2 hours to go at this point.

2:43pm - I just barely made it to 9:30am.  Writing on the blog was one of the last things on my mind.  :P  I went straight to bed when I finished... rather, I slept on the couch for a few hours THEN went straight to bed.

Thank you everyone, for participating and donating, and I look forward to next year--I'm aiming to have a bigger team this next time.  :)  Anyone want to play?

No comments:

Post a Comment